Buy a copy
|Partial / Incomplete Date
|Notes / History
|This postcard shows the mill workers’ cottage upstream of Mitcham Bridge which is now known as Fisheries Cottage. Originally built in the mid-nineteenth century, it stands next to two other cottages built a century earlier.
For a 12 year period from 1895 Fisheries Cottage was occupied by Henry Bourne, bailiff of an association set up to conserve fish stocks. He vacated it in 1907, by which time its former name of Wandle Cottage had been changed to its current name.
At the time the photo was taken the cottage was occupied by a Mr Seager who had taken over part of the nearby Crown Mill for manufacturing purposes.