Buy a copy
|Partial / Incomplete Date||c.1918|
|Copyright 1||F J Townend|
|Notes / History||This stretch of land upstream of Mitcham Bridge was left to revert to its natural wetland state by the National Trust, which had purchased it 5 years before this picture was taken.
It was later planted as an osier bed (a fast-growing willow used for basket-weaving) and there were also two plantations of cricket bat willow established between the wars. Since World War 2, however, the Trust’s management have concentrated on developing it as a nature reserve and it has been closed to the public in order to protect its fragile eco-system.