Buy a copy
|Partial / Incomplete Date||September 1927|
|Copyright 1||F Wells|
|Notes / History||This is one of a group of 3 postcards showing the Watermeads area of the Wandle upstream of Mitcham Bridge in 1927.
Originally the site of a snuff mill and a paper mill, Watermeads was purchased by the National Trust in 1913. It was one of the Trust’s first properties and the £1050 needed to buy it was raised following an appeal by Octavia Hill, the social reformer.
Miss Hill was one of the founders of the National Trust. Unfortunately she died before Watermeads was formally presented to the Trust in 1914.