Wandle at Mitcham
Prints Temporarily Unavailable
Buy a print
|Partial / Incomplete Date||c.1916|
|Notes / History||View looking downstream towards Phipps Bridge.
The water entering from the left took the original stream (the Old River) past the site of the medieval Phipps Mill. The water entering from the right is from the New Cut, dug in the 18th century to supply the bleaching grounds. The two channels are still shown on a modern map.
The exact date of the image is not known but it is probably around 1916.