Wandle from Phipps Bridge

Wandle from Phipps Bridge

Prints Temporarily Unavailable

Buy a print

Partial / Incomplete Date c.1946
Area Mitcham
Copyright 1 E. Passmore Olney
Picture Reference Mit_​Rivers_​Waterways_​1-22
Original Format Photo
Notes / History This image is not of the River Wandle itself. It is in fact a man-made channel called Rucker’s Cut which one John Rucker created in 1789 to increase the supply of water to his calico factory and bleaching grounds.

The cut, which joined the Wandle at Phipps Bridge, was filled in in the 1960s. This was done to protect the cottages and folly on the left of the picture. The cottages, which are on Phipps Bridge Road, date back to the end of the eighteenth century. The folly was added in 1875.

All are now owned by the National Trust.

Related items

Comments

* Required field