Phipps Bridge Road, Mitcham

Buy a print

Partial / Incomplete Date 1956
Area Mitcham
Copyright 1 Presented by E Passmore Olney, 42 Kenilworth Court, Putney
Picture Reference Mit_​Streets_​P_​Wil_​54-61
Original Format Photo
Notes / History Picture of the “New River” of 1769, above Phipps Bridge and the common land, which is located west of Phipps Bridge, at the rear of Everett’s Place, often referred to as ‘Waste Land’ in Mitcham. During mid-19th century land bordering along the River Wandle resulted on constructing a bridge through the waste land re-joining the river, where John, Anthony Rucker of Carshalton was called and consent was given to build a bridge called “New Cutt”, over new channel At his own expense and had to maintain for a period of 61 years thereafter. He was also required to give a contribution of one guinea per annum to the churchwardens, which was used as a relief to the poor.

Related items

Comments

* Required field