Caesar's Well, Wimbledon Common
Buy a print
|Partial / Incomplete Date||c.1910|
|Notes / History||On the south-western edge of the Common lies a promontory known as Caesar's Camp.
Despite rumours to the contrary, this site was never occupied by the Roman Army - it actually marks the site of an Iron Age hill fort.
Caesar's Well was the name given to a natural spring situated nearby. Flanked by granite blocks since 1872, the water is now dispensed from a standpipe.