Ladies Golf Clubhouse, Mitcham Common

Ladies Golf Clubhouse, Mitcham Common

Buy a print

Area Mitcham
Copyright 1 S & W Series
Picture Reference Mit_​Sport_​9-14
Original Format Photo
Notes / History The ladies' branch of the Prince’s Golf Club was formed in 1984. Membership lists from this period show that the club enjoyed the same degree of exclusivity as its male counterpart. Between 1906 and 1913 the ladies' club had over 350 members.

The ladies' course was situated on the opposite side of the railway line to the original Prince’s Club and was described as well-kept with natural hazards consisting of gorse, gravel banks and bunkers. Originally a 9 hole course, it was later extended to 18 holes.

The ladies' club seems to have closed by the Second World War.

Related items

Comments

* Required field