Entrance to South Lodge Golf Club, Mitcham
Buy a copy
|Partial / Incomplete Date
|Notes / History
|In 1905 the descendants of landowner John Watney sold a large portion of Mitcham Great Wood, (or Pollards Hill Wood) to the
Tooting Bec Golf Club.
Woodland was cleared to make way for a new golf course and the South Lodge Clubhouse was constructed at South Lodge (the former Watney home).
During the inter-war years, the club was sold a Mr Daunton, who subdivided the land, creating a smaller Pollards Hill Golf Club and selling the remaining plots for development.
Much of the site, including the clubhouse, was used to create New Barns Avenue during the 1920s and 30s.