Crown Inn: London Road, Morden

Crown Inn: London Road, Morden

Buy a print

Partial / Incomplete Date c.1948/9
Area Morden
Picture Reference MerMor_​25_​20-3
Original Format Photo
Notes / History This mock-Tudor complex was built in 1932. There had been a tavern on the site since 1801 and the new buildings also served as a tavern. During the interwar period, however, they were transformed into complex of restaurants, bars, function rooms (Kings Hall) and an off license shop. These were demolished in 1960/1 following the construction of Crown House, which is now Merton Civic Centre. A new bar was opened in 1961 to the side of the tower block.

Notice the “Tardis” (police call box) and air raid sirens, both of which were once a common sight on British streets.

Related items

Comments

* Required field