Green Lane, Morden
Buy a copy
|Partial / Incomplete Date||c.1935|
|Notes / History||For much of its history, Morden was a quiet, rural area combining small farmsteads, groups of cottages and a few larger properties, such as Morden Hall.
However, following the extension of the Northern Line in 1926, the area began to change dramatically. Morden was now within easy commuting distance of London and the demand for housing and facilities increased.
The greatest transformation took place between 1928 and 1936, when the London County Council authorised the construction of the St. Helier Estate, an initiative designed to provide homes for nearly 40,000 people.
The original Green Lane ran from Central Road to Rosehill and was preserved as a “walkway” down the centre of the new road system following redevelopment.