Kingston Road, Merton Park
Buy a print
|Partial / Incomplete Date||c.1910|
|Notes / History||Merton Park level crossing is just visible in the background.
Notice the sign advertising property to be let or sold, picture centre. During the 19th and early 20th centuries, the population of Wimbledon and Merton Road dramatically following the extension of the rail network from Wimbledon to London Bridge.
The Merton Park area became a fashionable “garden suburb” under the direction of local landowner and developer, John Innes.
Through the auspices of his Merton Park Estate office, Innes employed architect Henry Quatermaine, to design a system of roads and housing. Many of these buildings now fall within the Merton Park Conservation area.