Croydon Road: Blue House Cottages

Croydon Road: Blue House Cottages

Buy a copy

For prints:
Contact Merton Heritage Service. Tel.020 8545 3239 Email:

Partial / Incomplete Date c.1870
Area Mitcham
Picture Reference Mit_​4_​1-2
Original Format Photo
Notes / History The cottages to the right were known as the Blue Houses and dated from the 1780s. Being part of the manor of Ravensbury, the pub on far left display a sign bearing the arms of the manor of Ravensbury. During the Medieval period, jurisdiction over the parish of Mitcham was divided between four manors: Biggin & Tamworth to the north, Vauxhall (Phipps Bridge to Commonside West), Mitcham Canons and Ravensbury to the west. Over the centuries, the manor of Ravensbury has been associated with many notable names. For instance, control passes to the Carews of Beddington during the Tudor period and the Bidder family during the 19th century.

Related items


* Required field