Fair Green, Mitcham
Buy a copy
|Partial / Incomplete Date||c.1902|
|Notes / History||The King’s Arms and the Buck’s Head (now the “White Lion of Mortimer”), are visible, picture left.
The clock tower, shown in its original location, was funded by public subscription and installed in 1898 to mark the Diamond Jubilee of Queen Victoria.
Much to the frustration of local residents, the clock was prone to mechanical failure and the four dials frequently showed different times. The timepiece proved so notorious that it featured in a speech by Prime Minister, Lloyd George, who compared it to some members of Opposition, who could not get a move on!