Bomb damaged houses in Pitcairn Road, Mitcham
Buy a print
|Date Photo Taken||1st January 0001|
|Copyright 1||Mitcham Public Library|
|Notes / History||A WW2 bomb demolished this terrace of houses in Pitcairn Road, where it adjoins the London Road just south of Tooting station. The date of the bombing hasn’t been ascertained but it is not shown on maps of high explosive bombs dropped during the Blitz (October 1940-June 1941) so it is possible that it was hit by one of the ‘doodlebugs’ or flying bombs that caused such devastation when the Germans launched them on London in 1944.
Mitcham Council records show that during or after the war, 8 temporary ‘hutments’ were built on the site and they are still clearly visible on the Ordnance Survey map of 1949. In 1954 the council sought to have them demolished. On 4th February 1954 The Mitcham Advertiser reported on its front page that the council had ‘applied to the Ministry of Housing and Local Government for approval of the proposed demolition of the curved asbestos hutments on land in Pitcairn Road, Tooting Junction, at the junction with London Road, “as and when they become vacant”.’