Sutton Road, Mitcham Bridge and the Old Mill

Sutton Road, Mitcham Bridge and the Old Mill

Buy a print

Area Mitcham
Picture Reference Mit_​Streets_​P_​Wil_​66-5
Original Format Photo
Notes / History Mitcham Bridge, crosses the River Wandle at Sutton Road - now Bishopsford Road, also referred to as Bishopsford Road Bridge.
This is a view of the Wandle River bank, Mitcham Bridge and the old Mill on the left, with 2 boys looking down to the river as it was a popular place for trout fishing.
Mitcham Bridge was built probably around 1759 and looked after by local parishes of that time. By 1789 the bridge was certainly made out of bricks, recorded by Edwards, the topographer. There is a metal Parish Boundary Marker in the Western parapet bearing the date 1882.
Mitcham News & Mercury 16-7-1971.
The Sutton road and the bridge had various repairs and road widening but during the anti-invasion preparation of 1940 the road was impossible to drive on as road grinders driven to the riverbed created so called ‘tank trap’, which were removed by 1945.

Related items

Comments

* Required field