Upper Fair Green, Collbran'scorner, Mitcham

Upper Fair Green, Collbran'scorner, Mitcham

Buy a print

Partial / Incomplete Date 1890
Area Mitcham
Copyright 1 Mrs. A.Ruff
Picture Reference Mit_​Streets_​P_​Wil_​73-4
Original Format Photo
Notes / History This view shows the old Kings Arms pub, then under the licensee Mr. Gould. He ran the pub from 1885 to 1895.

Collbran's Corner took its name from Ned Collbran, whose open fronted butcher's shop stood to the left of the pub.

This picture offers a clear view of the village pump, an important source of water for local residents before the introduction of a piped supply. Pumping a handle at the rear, would bring up water from below ground - this poured from the spout at the front and was collected in buckets or jugs for transfer to local homes and businesses. During the late 19th century the pump was replaced by Mitcham clock tower, paid for by public subscription, to mark Queen Victoria's diamond jubilee.

Related items

Comments

* Required field