Phipps Bridge Road, Mitcham: White Cottage

Phipps Bridge Road, Mitcham: White Cottage

Buy a print

Partial / Incomplete Date 1914
Area Mitcham
Copyright 1 Presented by E Passmore Olney
Picture Reference Mit_​Streets_​P_​Wil_​54-54
Original Format Photo
Notes / History This waterboarded Cottage, has been known to exist since 1804 under the discretion names as: “Littler’s Cottage”, “White Cottage” or “The Nook” or Brangwyn Cresent. At first occupied by Thomas Bartlett in 1804, then leased to John Leach of Newton, Leach, Greaves and Hodgson in 1805 and used for calico painting. In 1812, printer William Hate and sons worked for the calico printers which were part of the Merton Abbey industries. These cottages were demolished in 1961 century and replaced with modern block of flats.

Related items

Comments

* Required field