London Road, Mitcham: Collbran's Corner

Buy a print

Partial / Incomplete Date 1895
Area Mitcham
Picture Reference Mit_​Streets_​Lon_​38-14
Original Format Photo
Notes / History Collbran's Corner was named after Henry Collbran's butcher shop, fronting Upper Green, which is on the left of the photo. To the right of the shop is the King's Arms public house on the High Street. Across the road to the right of the picture is another public house, The Buck's Head.

In the centre of the picture, surrounded by a group of men and boys, is the Parish Pump which drew water from a well under the road. The gas lamp on top of the pump was lit by an open gas jet.

Related items

Comments

* Required field