London Road, Mitcham
Buy a copy
|Partial / Incomplete Date||c.1953|
|Copyright 1||Phox Studio.|
|Notes / History||The large building, marked as a post office, was later to house the vast machinery of the local telephone exchange. As technology advanced, the telecommunications industry was to employ many local people.
Note the building plot, far left, this was once the site of London House, a vast emporium run by the Francis family from 1869 to 1950. Fondly remembered by many local people, this shop sold everything from hardware and seed, to baskets, animal feed and clothing. This site is now occupied by the local branch of Tescos.