London Road, Mitcham: The Old Cage, pound and stocks

London Road, Mitcham: The Old Cage, pound and stocks

Buy a print

Partial / Incomplete Date c.1830
Area Mitcham
Picture Reference Mit_​Streets_​Lon_​38-1
Original Format Print from Watercolour
Notes / History This stylised image by John Francis Dixon shows the original Cricketers Inn, built c 1799. Originally known as The Swan, the building was the first headquarters for Mitcham Cricket Club.

Shown to the right of the inn is the old village pound and village cage. The former was used to house stray livestock and the later was a primitive cell constructed c1765 and used to detain petty criminals prior to a hearing before the local justices of the peace.

The cage was demolished in 1887 and the site was used for the construction of Vestry Hall.

Related items

Comments

* Required field