Bristol Road, Morden
Buy a print
|Partial / Incomplete Date||c.1931|
|Copyright 1||GLC Photographic Unit|
|Notes / History||Most of the estate roads were names after Abbeys and monasteries in England and Wales. This was in recognition of the monastic connections of the region – Morden was once owned by Westminster Abbey and Sutton belonged to Chertsey Abbey.
Merton Priory, (one of the post powerful religious institutions in the south), once stood in the Colliers Wood area.
Roads were also arranged alphabetically, from Abbotsbury Road in the north west, to Woburn Road (Carshalton) in the south east.