Fair Green, Mitcham: village pump and Collbran's Corner
Buy a copy
|Partial / Incomplete Date||c.1897|
|Copyright 1||Tom Francis|
|Photographer / Origin of Photo||Tom Francis|
|Notes / History||This picture shows the view looking towards High Street, Mitcham, with the village water pump in the foreground. The latter was eventually replaced by Mitcham clock tower during the late 19th century, to mark Queen Victoria's diamond jubilee.
The weatherboarded Kings Arms pub is visible in the background, under the control of licensed victualler Albert Hadsworth Tupper. The pub was rebuilt between 1899 and 1900. It has undergone further refurbishment over the decades but still remains a popular local pub. A sign for the Buck's Head can just be seen, far right - this pub stood on the opposite side of the high street and is now better known as the White Lion of Mortimer.
Ned Collbran's family butcher's shop can be seen to the left of this photo, with its wares displayed hanging from meat hooks in the ceiling. There was a slaughter house to the rear of the shop, screened from public view by wooden slats.