High Street, Wimbledon Village: Fire Station
Buy a copy
|Partial / Incomplete Date
|The Collectors' Publishing Co, London
|Notes / History
|The first local fire station was built near the parish workhouse on Wimbledon Common in 1816 and housed a second hand manual pump.
The arrival of the railway led to a rapid increase in the number of homes, shops and business in the local area and there was now a need for a larger, more professional fire service.
The property with the bell tower, picture right, was built c. 1890, to house the new brigade. It housed a horse-drawn, steam powered engine and the building was subsequently equipped with a telephone. The bells in the tower were used to summon members of the volunteer brigade in the event of a call-out.
The building still survives but has now been converted into shops.