Hanford Row, Wimbledon

Buy a print

Area Wimbledon Village
Copyright 1 Fred Richard
Picture Reference Wim_​6_​10-1
Original Format Photo
Notes / History Situated near Cannizaro House, this row of eight tiny houses was built during the 1770s, on the instructions of William Hanford, a London businessman.

Surviving records from 1776, reveal the occupants to have been five poor labourers, employed on the Westside estates, a sawyer and a gardener, Thomas Cannon.

Following Cannon's departure, his cottage was occupied by John Dorset, formerly the coachman to Sarah, Duchess of Marlborough,(owner of the manor of Wimbledon).

Related items

Comments

* Required field