Morden Road, Mitcham: White Cottage next to Surrey Arms
Buy a copy
|Notes / History
|Built in the latter part of the 18th Century, White Cottage is a rare example of a three-storeyed, tiled and weatherboarded house. It is of a construction once common throughout north east Surrey and Kent. The property was a private residence and part of the Morden Hall Estate but passed into the ownership of the National Trust in 1942 and has since been listed as a Grade II property.
For a short period between 1875 until 1883 the property was leased and subsequently owned by Robert Ellis, a mineral water manufacturer. He sank an artesian well at the rear of the property and built and ran a small factory and office.