The Mary Tate almshouses, opposite the Cricket Green
Buy a copy
|London Borough of Merton
|Notes / History
|The Tate Almshouses at the side of the Cricket Green were built in 1829.
The site and building costs were donated by Miss Mary Tate to accommodate twelve poor widows or spinsters of the parish.
Miss Tate was the sole surviving member of the Tate family who lived from about 1700 in a large mansion on the site of the almshouses.
The wall at the front made the houses very gloomy and it was replaced by iron railings which remained until World War II.