Town Hall and Tram Terminus, The Broadway, Wimbledon
Buy a print
|Notes / History||By the interwar years the original building, constructed in 1878, had outlived its usefulness. The increasing responsibilities of the local authority meant that a new Town Hall was necessary.
Designed by A. J. Hope the building shown here was opened in 1931. Situated just to the rear was a large Civic Hall, created by the same architect.
Despite strong public protests the Civic Hall was demolished in 1989 to make way for the construction of the Centre Court shopping malls. Local people are still campaigning for a replacement venue.