Stone Cottage, Colliers Wood. Surrey Iron Railway
Buy a print
|Notes / History||This image is thought to show one of the gatehouses along the route of the Surrey Iron Railway. Opened in 1803, this was the first publicly owned railway in the world and carried freight between Wandsworth and Pitlake in Croydon via Colliers Wood and Mitcham.
Horse-drawn trucks carrying goods such as chalk, coal and stone were pulled along special L-shaped rails. The railway was financed by a series of tolls levied for passage along the different sections of the line.