Mitcham Junction Station
Buy a print
|Copyright 1||Burroughs Photo Services|
|Notes / History||The station was opened on 1st October 1868 with the opening of the Peckham Rye to Sutton line. Following the closure of the Wimbledon - West Croydon line in 1997 Mitcham Junction remained open as a station on the Sutton line. A new tram stop was built on the south side of the station with interchange facilities.
Note the enamel advertising signs on the fence and the water crane at the end of the platform for replenishing the water levels in the steam engines. Also note that there is no 3rd rail, therefore the photo pre-dates electrification of the rail network.