View from Kingston Road looking towards Merton High Street
Buy a copy
|Partial / Incomplete Date
|Notes / History
|Published in Merton In Pictures Book 1
Tram turning into Merton Road ( picture left ). Junction of Kingston and Morden Road ( picture right. )
Horse & Groom pub on the right is now next to the site of South Wimbledon Underground Station
The Horse & Groom was formerly known as the Bricklayers' Arms until 1882 when it acquired it's new name under the landlord James Cobb. It was renamed the Dark House its nickname, in 1984. For some reason the name changed back to the Horse & Groom briefly for a period between 1995 and 1996, but was changed again in 1997 to the Kilkenny tavern.