Merton Abbey Station, Colliers Wood
Buy a print
|Notes / History|| This is a goods train approaching Merton Abbey Station. This example of the SECR "C" class, No. 31579, was not uncommon power on on goods services until diesels began to appear in 1959. The leading wagon is for cattle, surprising in this industrial area.
Few passengers used the line after the tube opened to Colliers Wood in 1926 and passenger services ceased in 1929.
The Merton Relief Road now occupies most of the route (Merantun Way).