|Notes / History
||This was initially a flour mill but in 1884 it became the Eagle Leather Works of John S Deed and Sons, manufacturers of soft, quality leathers. Much of surrounding meadowland was used for drying the processed hides. The firm sold its fine buckskin and sheepskin goods through a shop in New Oxford Street. Deed & Sons famously made the scabbard for the ceremonial sword awarded by the British government to the people of Stalingrad, in recognition of their bravery against the Nazis. The mill fainlly closed in 1989.