Wandle Bridge Ford, Mitcham
Buy a copy
|Partial / Incomplete Date||c.1895|
|Copyright 1||Tom Francis|
|Photographer / Origin of Photo||Tom Francis|
|Notes / History||Also known as Mitcham Bridge.
The picture shows the ford, The Splash, by the side of the bridge. The bridge was widened after WWII and extended over the old ford to provide a footpath for pedestrians.
The bridge crosses the River Wandle in Bishopsford Road.
The River Wandle forms an ancient boundary between the parishes of Mitcham and Sutton. A bridge has stood on this site for centuries, with records from the mid 18th century detailing its woeful state of repair.