Council dustcart, Westside, Wimbledon Common

Buy a print

Partial / Incomplete Date c.1910
Area Wimbledon Village
Picture Reference Wim_​18_​8-7
Original Format Photo
Notes / History Wimbledon was awarded "Borough" status in 1905. At this stage, motorised vehicles were still a rarity on local streets and the corporation used a number of horse-drawn vehicles to collect refuse, in addition to transporting materials for road repairs and other services. Many of these wagons were based in yards near Wimbledon Common. They could often be seen passing through local fords in order to wet their wheels, (so preventing the spokes from drying and cracking).

Related items

Comments

* Required field