Buy a copy
|Partial / Incomplete Date||c.1870|
|Copyright 1||London Borough of Merton|
|Photographer / Origin of Photo||Tom Francis|
|Notes / History||Part of the old tollgate structure used on the former turnpike road.
In 1755, a turnpike act authorised the "amending, widening and keeping in repair [of] the roads from Epsom through Ewell to Tooting and from Ewell to Kingston upon Thames..." This allowed landowners and turnpike trustees to erect toll-gates at points along the local highway.
Vehicle owners were charged a fee before they could pass through the double-gates at Merton, or the single-gate at Colliers Wood. Levies varied according to the type of Vehicle.