Anderson Shelter in Pitcairn Road, Mitcham
Buy a print
|Date Photo Taken||1st January 0001|
|Copyright 1||Mitcham Public Library|
|Notes / History||20 tons of debris fell on this Anderson Shelter. Although the sides were pushed in there was still a space for the occupants in the centre and 4 people were rescued.
Anderson shelters were named after Sir John Anderson, the lord privy seal in charge of air raid precautions in 1938. They were designed to be dug into people’s gardens to protect families from air raids. They were half buried in the ground with earth heaped on top and were made from six corrugated iron sheets bolted together at the top, with steel plates at either end, and measured 6ft 6in by 4ft 6in (1.95m by 1.35m). The entrance was protected by a steel shield and an earthen blast wall.