HMS Mutine, warship adopted by Mitcham
Prints Temporarily Unavailable
Buy a print
|Date Photo Taken||1st January 0001|
|Copyright 1||Crown copyright. British official photograph No. 5350|
|Notes / History||HMS Mutine, constructed by Harland and Wolff in Belfast in 1941/2 and launched in October 1942, was an Algerine-class minesweeper of the Royal Navy. She was adopted by the civil community of Mitcham following a successful Warship Week National Savings campaign held in February 1942. Members of the public were encouraged to adopt the Navy’s ships and raise money towards the cost of refitting them for war. Since HMS Mutine was brand new the money raised was used for the general comfort of the crew. A commemorative plaque showing Mitcham’s coat of arms was fixed to the ship.
After completing her trials the Mutine was assigned to the 12th Minesweeping Flotilla and deployed in home waters. She remained in the Mediterranean sweeping mines until 1946, when she returned to the UK with the rest of her flotilla. She was paid off at Sheerness and reduced to the reserve, being laid up at Harwich before being sold for scrap in 1966.