The Friar Tuck, British Restaurant, Mitcham
Prints Temporarily Unavailable
Buy a print
|Date Photo Taken||1st January 0001|
|Partial / Incomplete Date||c.1943|
|Notes / History||Detail of the murals painted to decorate one of the 6 British Restaurants or Communal Kitchens set up in Mitcham during World War II. The murals depict the various stories connected with Robin Hood and his Merry Men.
The British Restaurants, originally called ‘Community Feeding Centres’, were run on a non-profit basis by the local authority or voluntary agencies. They were set up to combat the restrictions of rationing by providing basic meals at reasonable prices. A full three-course meal could be purchased at the British Restaurant without using up valuable ration coupons.The prices were kept low as the catering, cooking and washing up in the restaurants was done by volunteers, usually older women who were members of the Women’s Voluntary Service.
The sites of the six British Restaurants in Mitcham were: Gladstone Road Mission Hall, St Olave’s Parish Hall, Prince George’s Road, Christchurch Road, Benedict Road and Sherwood Park Road.