The Friar Tuck, British Restaurant, Mitcham
Buy a print
|Partial / Incomplete Date||c.1943|
|Notes / History||Detail of the murals painted to decorate one of the 6 British Restaurants or Communal Kitchens set up in Mitcham during World War II. The murals depict the various stories connected with Robin Hood and his Merry Men.
The sites of the restaurants were: Gladstone Road Mission Hall, St Olave’s Parish Hall, Prince George’s Road, Christchurch Road, Benedict Road and Sherwood Park Road.
Decoration was usually taken on by local artists and art students and portrayed an English ideal such as fighting for freedom and digging for victory.