Phipps Bridge Road: White Cottage

Phipps Bridge Road: White Cottage

Buy a copy

For prints:
Contact Merton Heritage Service. Tel.020 8545 3239 Email:

Partial / Incomplete Date c.1914
Area Mitcham
Copyright 1 G.C. Druce
Picture Reference MerMor_​Streets_​Ph_​Pi_​37-6
Original Format Photo
Notes / History This waterboarded Cottage, has been known to exist since 1804 under the discretion names as: “Littler’s Cottage”, “White Cottage” or “The Nook”. At first occupied by Thomas Bartlett in 1804, then leased to John Leach of Newton, Leach, Greaves and Hodgson in 1805 as calico painters. In 1812, printer William Hate and sons worked for the calico printers being part of Merton Abbey. These cottages were demolished in 1961 century and replaced with modern block of flats.

Related items


* Required field