King's Head, Merton High Street
Prints Temporarily Unavailable
Buy a print
|Partial / Incomplete Date||c.1902|
|Notes / History||During Nelson’s Day, the “King’s Head” was one of a number of local coaching inns, offering food and drink, stabling for horses and accommodation for weary travellers. Service came at a cost, the bill for a local churchwarden’s dinner in 1801, totalled seventeen pounds, ten shillings and twopence, a truly vast sum.
In addition to the larger inns, there were a number of small beer-houses in the Merton area. These served home brewed ale in the equivalent of a front room. Some inn’s offered simple entertainment, such as singing, or dice-games, (although the church authorities were quick to challenge any form of gambling).