Rowland Wilson Almshouses, Kingston Road
Buy a copy
|Partial / Incomplete Date
|Collectors Publishing & Co
|Notes / History
|This tiny set of almshouses which stood at 70 Kingston Road were built in 1656, using money bequeathed by Rowland Wilson, a successful merchant and vintner. They were designed to accommodate six "needy" women, each of whom was awarded a pension of £4 per year, (no mean sum by the standards of the day), together with provision for "a chaldron of coals".