Gatehouse, Merton High Street: Rear view

Gatehouse,  Merton High Street: Rear view

Buy a print

Partial / Incomplete Date c.1900
Area Merton
Picture Reference MerMor_​Houses_​Buildings_​G_​GA_​10-2
Original Format Postcard
Notes / History At the north end of Mill Road where it joins Merton High Street once stood the gatehouse of Merton Priory also known as Abbey House). In the 1700s it had been rebuilt or enlarged with extensive grounds. It was here that Rear-Admiral Isaac Smith, who had sailed to Australia with Captain Cook in 1768, lived in retirement with his cousin Elizabeth, Cook’s widow.

The gatehouse survived until 1906 when it was demolished to make way for the development of housing.

Related items

Comments

* Required field