Mitcham Grove, Mitcham: Seat of Henry Hoare Esq
Buy a print
|Notes / History||A sizeable house has existed on this site since the Medieval Period. In the Tudor age Thomas Smythe, a prominent official in the court of Elizabeth 1, owned the house and estate and his descendants retained ownership during the first quarter of the Georgian Period. Baron Clive of India owned Mitcham Grove in the 18th century. It appears that Clive gave Mitcham Grove to Alexander Wedderburn's around 1773 in recognition of his considerable help and support. Wedderburn later became Lord Chancellor and, on his death in 1804, was buried in St. Pauls Cathedral.
In 1774 Robert Adam was drawing up plans to turn the existing house into an elegantly proportioned and fashionable mansion. Henry Hoare, a banker working in his family's banking company, purchased Mitcham Grove in 1786. He was an active member and benefactor within the local community for over 40 years until his death in 1828.