London House, London Road, Mitcham: Adjoining T. Francis' premises

Buy a print

Area Mitcham
Picture Reference Mit_​Buildings_​23-1
Original Format Photo
Notes / History London House, shown on the left, was home to a drapery store and originally owned and run by George Pitt. The building was originally the southernmost of two semi-detached three-storeyed houses. Located in what was then Whitford Lane it is now known as London Road. In 1886 the two semi-detached houses were combined to form an enlarged London House general store. At the time of the establishment of Pitt's business the only other buildings in Whitford Lane were two weatherboarded cottages, which can be seen to the right of London House, and also Elm Lodge at the corner of the Cricket Green. Around 1869 Thomas Francis and his wife took over the business and in 1886 their son was working in the shop and remained working there until 1944.

Related items

Comments

* Required field