London House, London Road, Mitcham: Rear view, adjoining T Francis' premises

Buy a print

Area Mitcham
Picture Reference Mit_​Buildings_​23-2
Original Format Photo
Notes / History Shown on the right are two substantial semi-detached three-storeyed houses and to the left are two weatherboarded houses located on the London Road, formerly known as Whitford Lane. The houses were situated immediately to the south of Mitcham's Fair Green. Around 1830 George Pitt Senior established and became proprietor of the London House drapery store which occupied one of the semi-detached houses . In 1879 the London House took over the adjoining semi detached houses and became an enlarged general store. At the time of the establishment of Pitt's business the only other buildings in Whitford Lane was Elm Lodge at the corner of the Cricket Green.

Related items

Comments

* Required field