The Canons, Mitcham: Part of gardens
Buy a copy
|Partial / Incomplete Date||c.1970|
|Copyright 1||R Tomalski (Mitcham Camera Club)|
|Notes / History||Taken in the 1970's this photograph shows the enclosed walled garden in the grounds of the Canon's House. At this time the enclosed garden was planted with fruit and vegetables and contained a square lily pond. A commemorative stone, dated 1761, located in a wall of the enclosed garden, advises that James Cranmer, Lord of the Manor of Mitcham, built or rebuilt the enclosed garden walls.
Until the late 1930’s the Canon’s House continued to be occupied privately and the gardens maintained. However, the Estate became neglected throughout the Second World War up to the early 1960’s until the local council took over responsibility for maintenance.