Pollards Hill Estate

Pollards Hill Estate

Buy a print

Partial / Incomplete Date c.1956
Area Pollards Hill
Copyright 1 Sydney W Newberry
Picture Reference Mit_​Buildings_​58-36
Original Format Photo
Notes / History Prior to the Second World War the housing in Pollards Hill had been built either for owner-occupation or private renting. However, after the Second World War there was an urgent need for subsidised housing. The Pollards Hill housing estate was a substantial development for which the Borough Council purchased additional land at Pollards Hill as well as the balance of land remaining ar the Pollards Hill golf course, in order to provide mass housing for rental. Included in the social housing provided the Council built six-storey maisonette blocks, starting with Westmorland Square in 1950, and finishing the final block, Bovingdon Square, in 1956. At the time this photograph was taken construction work on the estate was drawing to a close.

Related items

Comments

* Required field