The Canons, Mitcham: Walled garden
Buy a print
|Date Photo Taken||23rd April 1994|
|Copyright 1||Susan Andrew (Mitcham Library)|
|Notes / History||Taken in 1994 at the time of the opening of the Heritage Centre in the Canon's House, this photograph shows the enclosed walled garden in the grounds of the House . At this time the enclosed garden was planted with spring flowers but in earlier times it had been planted with fruit and vegetables and contained a lily pond. A commemorative stone, dated 1761, located in a wall of the enclosed garden, advises that James Cranmer, Lord of the Manor of Mitcham, built or rebuilt the enclosed garden walls.
Until the late 1930’s the Canon’s House continued to be occupied privately and the gardens maintained. However, the Estate became neglected throughout the Second World War up to the early 1960’s until the local council took over responsibility for maintenance.